Friday, April 11, 2008

I Hope You're Not Eating Anything...

The three sites with sutures sticking out are where the various chest tubes were...

The long scar above them is where the surgeon had to cut in between my baby's ribs in order to get to her lungs.

Keep in mind this picture is two weeks after surgery.





You can't see it here very well, but she had an IV line in her right arm in which she received antibiotics once a day. For a week. This is her AFTER the initial screaming and thrashing that occured every time we had to hook her up to the handy-dandy little machine there.
And the picture I didn't post was the one of me collapsed on the master bathroom floor in tears the day we brought her home from the hospital, after we tucked her into her nice warm bed with her favorite blanket and stuffed animals, and our house was all quiet and peaceful. And it fully hit me how very very close we came to losing our baby girl.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh, honey. You're stronger than you look. I am crying and she's not even my baby.

Jessica said...

She looks a little thin and pale, but other than that it looks like you did a great job, Dr. Mom!!! I'm sorry this whole nightmare happened at all and I am soooooo glad she (and the car, HA) is safe at home. Love you!

StarvingWriteNow said...

Don't worry--guys dig chicks with scars! She can still wear a bikini!

Seriously though, yipes! My son broke his arm 300 miles away from me when he was 9. I couldn't do anything until he returned home the next week. Talk about gray hairs!

Hope she's doing better this week.

Missie said...

Thanks, friends. This is a chapter of our lives that I don't want to repeat any time soon.

Spy Scribbler said...

Ohmigosh! What have I missed?! You know, I just discovered you had another blog. I loved Snarkling Clean, but I got lost in the transition, because I tried a new feed reader at the same time.

Poor baby. She's grown. Is she okay now, I hope? *hugs*