Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Superlative Soup

So the Chicken Tortilla Soup was a big hit at our table the other night. I promised you the recipe, so here it goes:
2 14oz cans chicken broth w/roasted garlic**
1 14.5oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 9oz pkg frozen chopped cooked chicken breast
2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables
Corn Chips
Sliced jalapeno peppers (totally optional)
Sour Cream
Cheese
Cilantro
Combine first four ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high for 3-3.5 hours. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with corn chips, peppers, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro according to taste.
This was sooo gooooood, you guys. The soup by itself directly out of the crockpot tasted good, but when I added a small dollop of sour cream to my bowl along with cheese and fresh cilantro, it brought out a whole new array of flavors. My husband and son each ate two bowls of this. I had the remainder today for lunch. If you have a large family or a bunch of good eaters, you might want to double the recipe.
One thing I really like about this soup is that it took all of about five minutes to assemble. The one element that took me the longest in this whole meal preparation was the grating of the cheese!
In all fairness, I cannot let you think I made this up on my own. I got the recipe from "5Ingredient Slow Cooking" by Better Homes and Gardens. I picked up this little cookbook for ten cents at a yard sale on Labor Day. I figured if the recipes were not to my liking, at least I'd only spent a dime on the book. Later this week, we are going to have the Apricot Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Will let you know how that turns out.
**p.s.--I didn't use the chicken broth with the garlic in it. I had regular chicken broth, so I just used that and added about a teaspoon of minced garlic.
p.s. #2--I made some killer zucchini bread this week using the last zuke from our own garden. I have a bit more zuke left and can't decide whether to make another batch or to saute it up. Decisions, decisions.
p.s. #3--have you entered my contest yet? No, I don't think you did. Not that I am pressuring you or anything. I will just cry incessantly and assume no one loves me, but no, really. You should not feel obligated at all.
p.s. #4--I have lost two pounds this week. So far, I am ahead in the contest. I will be buying my own self a Starbucks gift card if none of you sign up. Which is fine, because I love me some 'bucks, but still....again, no pressure.

5 comments:

StarvingWriteNow said...

The soup sounds nummy. I'll have to try it out.

I'll be emailing you probably today--I'm pretty good on the weight loss part but I need encouragement to keep exercising and eating right, you know? Oh--and I can nag like nobody's business, so look out!

Robyn said...

We already nag...er, encourage each other, so you don't need me to email you, right?

samcarter said...

Missie, I hope you're happy--I signed up with Google just so I could thank you for your nice comment over at Mamapop.

This is Karen, from the Tin Foil Hat entry. :) I'll be visiting your blog from now on. I likes yer writing.

Missie said...

Starving,
You can bet I will nag you on the exercise!

Robyn,
You know I love you and will nag you even if you hadn't signed up.

Karen,
Bwaaahahahahaaha! I have brought you over to the dark side of Google accounts. My mission is complete. Seriously though, you are welcome here.

Unknown said...

I have to loose the last 40 lbs. I haven't lost a single pound since January. It has been a real bummer. Dropped 60 like it was nothing and just stuck now. :(